MN HSEM Hosts Annual Governor’s Conference;
Presents Awards and Emergency Management Certifications
The Minnesota Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (HSEM) hosted its’ 49th annual Governor’s Homeland Security and Emergency Conference, February 11-13, at the Earle Brown Heritage Center in Brooklyn Center, MN. Over 450 emergency management professionals and partners from around the state gathered at this year’s conference to take part in training and attend a variety of excellent general and concurrent sessions.
Welcomes and updates were provided by Commissioner Mona Dohman, Mn Dept. of Public Safety, and MnHSEM Director Kris Eide. Also providing updates were FEMA Region V Administrator Andrew Velasquez III; Mn Dept. of Natural Resources Commissioner Tom Landwehr; Red Cross officials Seth Gardner and Phil Hansen; and Dan Luna, Meteorologist in Charge, National Weather Service. AMEM President Brenda Wodele also provided an AMEM update to the conference. Minnesota Senator Al Franken also addressed conference attendees via videotape from the nation’s capitol.
General Sessions included a keynote address by Christopher Krebs, Obsidian Analysis, Inc., on Cyber Security Risks and Resources; and a presentation by Dr. George Smith (moderated by HSEM Deputy Director Joe Kelly), on the city of West, TX Explosion fertilizer plant explosion in April 2013. Dr. Smith, Medical Director of West EMS, discussed the response to and recovery from this disaster, and lessons learned.
At the HSEM annual Awards Luncheon on Thursday of the conference, HSEM recognized Desiree Hohenstein, Brown County Emergency Management, with its’ Outstanding Whole Community Coordinator Award; and Jim Reinert, Murray County Emergency Management, with its’ Outstanding Emergency Manager Award.
HSEM also named staff member Ann Kuzj as recipient of the Paul Jacobs Memorial Award for outstanding commitment toward her constituents around the state; and Brenda Olmscheid, Blue Earth County Emergency Management, as recipient of the Outstanding Public Education and Outreach Campaign.
HSEM Certification Recipients. HSEM Director Kris Eide presented 49 emergency management professionals with their certification for having completed the requisite number of courses leading to emergency management certification in the state of Minnesota. Receiving their certifications were:
- Julie Anderson, Mn Department of Public Safety
- Christy Bailly, Metro Transit
- Donna Zingsheim, Bauer Salvation Army
- David Bendickson, Mn National Guard Joint Operations Center
- Marcus Bruning, Mn Department of Public Safety
- Cassie Calametti, Mn HSEM
- Robert Carlson, City of Lester Prairie
- Donald Claveau, Jr. US Air Force (Retired)
- Kyle Cold, City of Mankato
- Rodger Coppa, City of St. Louis Park
- Michael Earp, Mn HSEM
- Amy Evans, Olmsted County Public Health
- Steven Ewing, Pipestone County Emergency Management
- Kurtis Fondrick, Shakopee Mdewakanton Emergency Services
- Sheryl Fox, Ramsey County Public Health
- David Goman, City of Long Lake
- Lisa Harris, University of Minnesota – Morris
- Christopher Hofmann, Mn Dept. of Military Affairs, Camp Ripley
- Grant Hosmer, Mn HSEM
- Jeremy Hulke, City of Minneapolis Police Dept.
- Karla Hyberger, Meeker County Sheriff’s Office
- Joyce Jacobs, Nobles County Emergency Management
- Ken Jones, City of Rochester
- Victor Juran, Target Corporation
- Jeffrey Lanenberg, Allina Medical Transportation
- Michael Lovas, City of St. Paul Emergency Management
- Jennifer Lund, University of Minnesota – Morris
- Scott MacKissock, Morrison County
- Anthony Martens, Waseca County
- Clinton Maxson, HealthEast Care System
- Mark McCabe, HealthEast Care System
- Steven McLaird, Metro Transit
- Kelly Miller, Minneapolis Public Schools
- Christopher, Muller Beltrami County
- Barbara O’Hara, Kittson County
- David Olafson, Mn Dept. of Human Services
- Amanda Owen, Anoka County Community Health
- Michael Pentico, Waseca County
- John Peterson, Mn DNR Management Resources
- Chris Pickhardt, City of Minneapolis Police Dept.
- Michael Piontek, Mn Air National Guard
- Richard Sheldon, City of Minneapolis Police Dept.
- Joel Siljendahl, Mn IT Services
- Thomas Simonet, Air Force Reserve
- Chad Stangeland, City of Moorhead Fire Dept.
- John Stephens, II City of Brandon
- Cindy Tranby, Anoka County Community Health
- Paul VanVoorhis, Mn State Patrol
- Chad Winters, Olmsted County
Save the Date: The 50th annual Governor’s HSEM Conference is scheduled for February 10-12, 2015, at the Earle Brown Heritage Center.